03 August 2016

Steelheart

Author: Brandon Sanderson
Series: Reckoners #1
Rating: 3.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

If there's one face we can hold on to, it's this: every Epic has a weakness.  Something that invalidates their powers, something that turns them back into an ordinary person, if only for a moment.

David lives in a strange world.  It's every kids dream and nightmare at the same time.  The unknown Calamity arrived in the sky, floating around outside Earth.  With it, it brought super powers to individual humans.  Unfortunately, these humans are greedy and self serving, and every single one of them uses their powers for evil instead of good.  Yeah, believe it or not, I can 100% see this happening.  Looting and anarchy abound.

David's father dies at the hands of an Epic (one of the humans with this unnatural abilities), and David vows revenge, no matter how long it takes.  He seeks out the Reckoners, a vigilante band of humans working to slowly take down the controlling Epics.  The fact that he grows a crush on one of the Reckoner gals only solidifies his efforts for the cause as he seeks to avenge his father.

The one thing I really liked about the psychology of Steelheart is that even though all the superheroes are all bad guys, we keep expecting for the good ones to come.  That mentality felt very human and realistic to me as well.

I've heard amazing things about Sanderson, so I think I may have gone into this novel with my expectations a little too high.  While it's a fun read, and there are a handful of great quotes, I expected something just a little more, a little better.  There's some classic shock and awe techniques Sanderson uses with plot twists that irritated me a little, even though I honestly did not see them coming.  And there is plenty of action abound, even if it may be lacking a little in suspense.  I'm certainly interested in continuing this series, and I really want to try some of Sanderson's other fantasy work, but Steelheart just didn't quite have that readability factor I was expecting (it took me a while to get through and I found myself switching back and forth between it and a handful of other novels).

No comments:

Post a Comment