13 July 2016

Killer Spirit

Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Series: The Squad #2
Rating: 3 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

"I'm starting to think the CIA is seriously deranged for letting us do this," I told her, "but that doesn't mean that I don't want to do it."

Toby and friends are back with more school spirit and spy missions that you can handle!  As they continue to unravel the mystery left a bit open ended in the first installment to the series, Toby faces a more serious, more pressing matter - homecoming court.  As a cheerleader on the Squad, she's nominated to court almost automatically.  And with her maybe/maybe-not boyfriend and her cheerleader chasing brother running her campaign for her, the unthinkable may happen - she might actually win.

I like Toby because she is the exact opposite of what you might expect for a stereotypical cheerleader.  I like the rest of the Squad because they add depth to that stereotypical character, each in their own unique way.

What I don't like is that this series is apparently done!  Which hardly seems fair at all, as we just got started.  Sure, it's highly unlikely that the government is using teen spies without the consent of their parents under the rouse of a cheerleader team.  And I doubt there's cheerleaders out there selling cookie that are actually hacking into and spying on evil corporations.  But still.  The audacity of the plot is kind of its charm.  Now where am I going to find more books about cheerleading super spies?

No comments:

Post a Comment