17 July 2016

Dragonfly in Amber

Author: Diana Gabaldon
Series: Outlander #2
Rating: 3.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Buy

"Undated.  Unknown.  But once... once, she was real."

Dragonfly in Amber picks up more than a decade after the end of Outlander, which is a bit unsettling at first.  The dynamic relationship between Jamie and Claire, and some of the antics of the member's of Jamie's clan/gang are what made Outlander such an enjoyable read.  Pulling the characters out of that element and tossing in a whole new dynamic throws readers like me for a loop.  Granted, Brianna and Roger are likable enough characters, but it seems like their characters are trying to force you to like them off the bat, instead of the slow, easy introduction we got to the characters in Outlander.

But, fear not!  We soon pick back up with Claire and Jamie before too terribly long.  But in the back of my mind, the entire time I read this novel I couldn't help but think 'why?' and 'when?'  Because we know, now, that Jamie and Claire will eventually be separated (boo!), and that Claire winds up back in her original time.

I do like how there isn't a huge scientific issue of time paradoxes in this series.  Though Gabaldon has yet to explain how it works, she hasn't forced an unsatisfactory explanation on me either.  I much prefer it this way.  And though I am saddened the entire novel about how I know it will end, I still enjoy Jamie's sometimes snarky, sometimes silly character, and Claire is as independent and forceful as ever.

The plot, while much more substantial than that of its predecessor, was a lot more political as well.  It felt a little dense at times, though probably because of my own ignorance of the history of that time.  It was certainly interesting, even if a bit futile.  I only wish these novels were a tad shorter.  It just seems to take forever to get through them, and the ending always leaves me wanting to immediately pick up the next one to continue the saga.

No comments:

Post a Comment