01 July 2016

A Court of Mist and Fury

Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: A Court of Thorns & Roses #2
Verdict: Bury

I feel like Sarah J. Maas is that person at work or school or at a party that I really want to talk to.  Everything you hear about that person makes you think, "We are souls sisters!  She sounds amazing.  We are going to be BFFs", blah blah blah.  But then you actually meet that person and it's very confusing.  You stop and think, 'Have I been punked?  Maybe they meant someone else who looks exactly like that with that exact name.'  Because no matter how hard you try, you don't see what everyone else sees in them.  All the elements are there for perfection, but the real life encounter is a let down of epic proportion.

That is how I feel about Sarah J. Maas.  First it was the Throne of Glass series.  I thought the first couple of books were okay, but wasn't sure why they garnered such outstanding applause.  And then I couldn't even get through the fourth installment, Queen of Shadows.  A Court of Mist and Fury fell to similar demise.

A Court of Thorns and Roses was okay, but that's probably the best adjective I could come up with to describe it, apart from 'meh'.  Still, I wanted to give A Court of Mist and Fury the benefit of the doubt.  I checked it out from the library, trudged my way through it, then had to return it before I finished.  A glutton for punishment, I checked it out again, waited patiently on the waitlist queue, got it back from the library, read about five more chapters, and then finally called it quits for good.

Sarah J. Maas can create epic fantasy worlds, of that I have no doubt.  Unfortunately, the characters in her stories leave a lot to be desired, as do the plots.  A Court of Mist and Fury is a prime example.  Here is the note I jotted down on my phone while trying to describe the plot for the beginning sections of the novel:

Girl meets guy (who is not entirely human, mind you).  Girl loves guy.  Girl wonders if she will ever get to have sex with guy before marriage.  Girl and guy promptly bang.  Guy becomes extremely overprotective.  Girl runs off to other guy.  Gag.

I don't mind my high fantasy having elements of romance, but 'plots' like this are so overdone and underwhelming and her books are soooooooo long that I just can't muster the will or attention span to try anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment