26 June 2016

The Sleeping Prince

Author: Melinda Salisbury
Series: The Sin Eater’s Daughter #2
Rating: 3 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

"What would you do to save your family, Errin?  How far would you go?"

It's been over a year since I read The Sin Eater's Daughter, and I am notoriously bad at reading synopsis of previous books in series before diving into the latest installment.  So was the case with The Sleeping Prince.  I thought I recalled the main character from the first novel going off to live in seclusion at the end, but I couldn't remember her name, so I wondered for a good while if Errin was the main character.  It didn't make much sense in the context of the few things I could remember (I was pretty sure the mother in the first novel wasn't completely bat crazy, and there wasn't much about a brother), but it went to prove that The Sin Eater's Daughter was not one of those books where the novel is so amazing that the details stick with you long after you're gone.

If they had, I would have remembered Errin's brother, Lief, from the first novel, and it would have lessened some of the confusion right off the bat.  The good news is that you don't really need to remember much of The Sin Eater's Daughter to enjoy The Sleeping Prince (although, to be fair, the whole concept of the Sleeping Prince confused me since I didn't remember anything of the mention from the first novel).  The Sleeping Prince feels more like a companion novel than a sequel, at least until the final chapters as the plots of the two different stories finally start to weave together.

The main character, Errin, is likable enough.  She's struggling to survive and to keep her mother's condition hidden.  In order to help pay rent, she makes and sells potions.  When she finds out that there is a potion that might be able to help or even cure her mother's condition, it sets Errin on a mission that slowly helps the plot unfold.  While nothing earth shattering or memorable, The Sleeping Prince is entertaining enough.  And the ending leaves readers wanting more.  I feel like to appreciate the final installment of this proposed trilogy when it comes out, I'll need to reread the first two novels to understand what the heck is going on.  But that's at least a year out into the future =)

No comments:

Post a Comment