16 June 2016

The Long Game

Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Series: The Fixer #2
Rating: 4 / 5 stars
Verdict: Buy

"Tell, he'd wheezed.  Didn't.  And then: Tell."

Life for Tess has not been easy as of late.  She got torn away from her grandfather to go live with her sister (who, it turns out, is not actually her sister).  She found herself knee deep in political messes in the first novel in the series, and this time around is no different.  If anything, it's even more tangled.

Not only does Tess have to deal with half the kids at school wanting her assistance in "fixing" their problems, but she now also has to deal with Grandpa Keyes.  And, as if things in her personal life aren't enough, there's a terrorist plot she gets sucked into as well.

The Long Game is non stop action.  I found myself staying up far too late, reading until I literally could not keep my eyes open any longer.  While the plot and some of the characters can be a bit predictable at times, some plot twists are genuine shockers I would not have seen coming from a mile a way.  Others I felt like Tess should have caught on to long before she did, as even I figured it out before her.  Still, it's an entertaining read from start to finish that will keep you guessing from start to end.

I'm glad that all the original characters came back, though I think that Henry's character takes a sharp left and veers completely off course from the way Barnes set him up in the first novel.  The way his character develops in this novel just doesn't seem genuine to me, and I have a hard time believing it, even if it suits the story well.  I will say, however, that I like the development in Emilia's character.

I also found it a little underwhelming for the underlying plot of the conspiracy from the first novel to still be wholly unresolved at the end of this one.  Granted, it sets Barnes up perfectly for at least one more novel in the series - which I will gladly devour.  It just unfortunately got lost in all the drama that this novel has on its own - which is a LOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment