04 June 2016

In the End

Author: Demitria Lunetta
Series: In the After #2
Rating: 1.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Bury

"You have to.  It's not safe," I plead.
"It's not safe anywhere."

In a lot of ways, especially for the first 75% of this novel, In the End is a lesson in futility.  After having escaped New Hope (which I only vaguely remember from the first novel), Amy runs off to Fort Black in search of Ken, Kay's brother, in hopes that he will be able to help save Baby from Dr. Reynolds and keep Baby safe?  As the novel continued to play out, I'm not entirely sure why Ken was important to this novel at all, because I don't think we ever got to the point where Ken's expertise to "fix" or "protect" Baby come into play.  The most frustrating part about that?  This is the end of the series!  Which makes this entire novel seems pointless to me.

You get no absolution with the end of this duology.  You get no real answers, and the dystopian is still left standing.  Amy makes it to Fort Black, has to "belong" to Jacks, goes around in circles trying to find Ken while also trying not to get raped.  And in the end (heh)?  She ends up going back to New Hope?  Ahhh, what?

Yes, we do get an end to the Baby plot.  But I'm not entirely sure Ken was ever ended for that.  Ken certainly doesn't seem to make a difference in the end.  When it comes down to it, Kay, Amy's mother, and Rice - who were already all at New Hope - are really the biggest factors.  So why did Amy have to go to Fort Black in the first place?  Why didn't she simply turn around, go back to New Hope, help Baby escape, and then maybe take Baby to Fort Black to Ken to see if Ken could protect her?

I guess when it comes down to it, the entire plot of this novel makes little sense to me, and it doesn't feel like it did much to add anything to the first novel.  Plus, it leaves a lot of things still unresolved.  So I wouldn't bother, and now that I've finished the duology, I'd say pass on the first one as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment