07 May 2016

The Crown

Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #5
Rating: 1.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Bury

"I shouldn't laugh."
"And yet you do."  I brushed the crumbs off my dress.  "It makes me feel like I was predestined to become a brat."

Oh, so that's why she's so bratty and annoying.  Good to know.

It's hard to decide who I am more upset with, Kiera Cass or myself.  After my lackluster read and review of the last addition to this "trilogy", I shouldn't even have bothered with the latest escapades in Eadlyn's life .  But then, blast it all, I saw the cover and, just like with the last book, I thought 'You know what, I'll give it a try'.  And you know what?  I think I'm finally done being a masochist when it comes to Cass.  After this novel, I believe I've officially given up on Kiera Cass.

The Selection series is a classic example of milking the metaphorical cash cow.  The first three were nothing rave worthy, but they were a nice guilty pleasure, though at times I got so frustrated I wanted to throw them out the window.  Well, The Crown takes that feeling and turns it up to eleven.  Not only do I feel like Cass is rewriting the first three novels in this series over again, but - can you believe it - Eadlyn is even more annoying that America was.  And, just like the first time around, I've reached the point in the series where the plot goes completely off the rails and Cass proves, yet again, that she can't seem to string along a decent plot for an entire series.

The Crown feels like a disjointed disaster.  We start off with Eadlyn narrowing her Selection down to six for the Elite (yes, you guessed it, JUST LIKE HER FATHER DID IN THE FIRST SELECTION).  And while it is nice to add a subplot of concerning for her mother while she acts as regent, everything about that portion of the plot feels so cheesy.  So not only is Eadlyn annoying at times, but when she's actually likable, the dialogue and inner monologue are so campy that she feels too fictional to relate to, like she'll never escape the pages of the novel.  And the rest of the novel isn't written any better.  There are a lot of cringe worthy sentences in this one, and I had to skin read the last forty pages or so because I was just over it this time.

And then, to make matters worse, Cass adds Erik and Marid to the mix.  Since she doesn't have enough romantic drama already brewing, let's throw in two more guys not even in the Selection that she can angst over.  Good grief, Charlie Brown.  And what does that remind me of?  Oh, that's right.  America and Aspen.  Seriously, I've read this novel before.  Except everything feels twice as forced and unnatural this second time around.  And I'm officially done with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment