17 May 2016

In the After

Author: Demitria Lunetta
Series: In the After #1
Rating: 3 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

Aliens.  It's a touch sell for me.  The fact that there would be intelligent life out there that would see humankind and the disaster we've done to this planet and think, "You know what?  Let's go invade there.  That seems like a stable planet."  I've never gotten the premise.  Wouldn't it be easier to find a planet inhabited?

And if these guys are basically blind to anything but light, how the heck did they travel through space to begin with?  Space is almost completely empty, including devoid of light.  So how did they navigate?  Where did they know where to go?

Anywho, it really doesn't matter.  I think the more concerning plot flaw I found early on in this novel is her practicing running on the treadmill.  She and Baby haven't spoken for a couple years now for fear of Them (really annoying, using a pronoun as a name BTW) hearing them, but she claims she can practice running on the treadmill in the basement because you can't hear anything in the basement from outside.  So, uh, why the heck wouldn't you just camp out in the basement and talk there?  Instead, they communicate by way of shorthand sign language, which really gets complicated when they start running into other people.

Overall, this story held my attention.  I'm not sure if I liked the first half or the second half more.  They are certainly different in the things that Amy and Baby (again, annoying using a noun as a name) have to deal with.  While I much prefer for Amy and Baby not to have to deal with horny rapists wanting Amy to lead them back to her house, I think the first half of the novel had more suspense.  The second half got a little muddled in its own plot, especially when it started to switch from the present time/future time to the past time/present time or whatever the case was.  I hardly found Amy and Baby "rebellious" as the synopsis claims, but they were likable enough.  I've already got the second novel from the library, so I'm sure I'll give it a go as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment