12 April 2016

Curtsies & Conspiracies

Author: Gail Carriger
Series: Finishing School #2
Rating: 2.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

I really think I would enjoy this series so much more immensely if it wasn't so busy.  Carriger should have picked about two or three of the main themes and stuck with it.  But we have Pickleman and werewolves and vampires, all while she's trying to learn how to finish people off in finishing school.  And, as if that wasn't enough, Curtsies & Conspiracies adds another element to the mix - the aethersphere that they are attempting to float ships through in this novel.

Werewolves and vampires are typical urban fantasy.  Definitely not my favorite and I think this series would be better off without it, but I can live with it.  The steampunk and the training assassins are perfect.  I wish the series would focus more on this.  But the aether adds a fantasy element to a series already overwhelmed that it just about pushed me over the brink.  The fact that the plot of this novel revolves around how the aether is going to play a role with the supernatural creatures, and Carriger almost lost me.  Only the cute little mechanicals, the sweet sooties, and Sophronia & gang kept me interested (plus, you know, the assassin training in billowing skirts).

This series has so much potential.  I hope Carriger can reel it all in and really do something with it in the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment