06 March 2016

The Shadow Queen

Author: C.J. Redwine
Series: Ravenspire #1
Rating: 4 / 5 stars
Verdict: Buy

Another YA fairytale/folklore retelling where the main heroine is far from your average damsel in distress.  Lorelai is more kick ass than anything else.  Though she has been hiding out for about nine years since her evil stepmother killed her father in her hostile takeover of the Ravenspire kingdom, Lorelai has been biding her time.  And now she's ready, along with her brother, to reclaim the throne that is rightfully hers.

My biggest beef with this novel is the romance.  Of course our princess Lorelai is going to need her Prince Charming.  And I like that her prince is not just sweeping her off her feet.  Instead, it's a symbiotic relationship of them both trying to save each others lives over and over again.  My issue with the romance is that the prince?  Yeah, he's half dragon.  One human heart, one dragon heart.  And that just makes any kind of romantically relationship between them seem super gross to me.  It's borderline bestiality, after all.  But once you get past the entire part of him being a dragon, then it's fine!

There is a lot of action in this story, which kept me flipping page after page, making this a 24 hour read.  There are dragons and magic, and a heroine who won't get up no matter how high the odds are stacked against her, and I love it.  I don't really see how this is going to be a series, but I liked Shadow Queen enough to give the sequel a go.  I've never read the original fairy tale, but I like how it follows the heart stealing queen like OUAT and not just the girl who lives with dwarfs like the Disney's cartoon Snow White.  If you like action packed retellings, I would give this one a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment