05 March 2016

The Ruby Circle

Author: Richelle Mead
Series: Bloodlines
Rating: 2.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

Like its predecessors in the series, this book is more like the monorail at the amusement park than the roller coaster.  It has a splash of excitement here and there to try to keep the readers interested, but it relies heavily on your interest in Sydney's and Adrian's relationship.  And even then, a lot of the magic has worn off now that they are blissfully married.

Bloodlines just doesn't carry my interest the way Vampire Academy did.  I got through it primarily because I had already brought two of the novels from the bargain bin before starting the series and also because I read the first five novels as buddy reads.  I like that Sydney is intellectually and that she is constantly having to redefine herself as she chips away at the brainwashing that is being an Alchemist.  But that's all she really has going for her throughout the entire series.  And yes, Adrian is charming, even though he can be a bit of a dick at times, thanks to the influence of spirit.  But they barely manage to drag this series out, since the plot just doesn't have the gusto I feel like it ought to.  And their romance?  It's more cliche and sappy eye rolling dialogue than anything else.

I don't even feel like The Ruby Circle did that good a job of wrapping up the series.  Yes, we finally resolve the Jill thing.  Although, not really.  I assume that the law has finally changed, but I don't think it was ever explicitly mentioned.  We don't know what happens with Zoe and the Alchemists.  We don't know what happens to Sydney's coven of witches.  And then there's the whole thing revolving around Declan that just opens up a whole new can of worms instead of resolving old plot lines.  I feel like the only main plot line resolved is the relationship between Sydney and Adrian, and that was pretty much one and done in the last installment when they got hitched and moved into martial bliss (though with his mom in tow).  I feel like the ending of Bloodlines is just another set up for another spin off series.  I would say that Mead should dabble outside the realm of the VA world, but I read Age of X, so I'm not even sure about that.  I am still holding out for Glittering Court next month, but all and all, I feel like this entire series is really only marketable to the fans of paranormal romance.  For them, I think they'll love it.  For me?  I doubt I'll pick these up again.  And now I kind of want to go back and read VA and see if it still holds the appeal as I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment