26 March 2016

Etiquette & Espionage

Author: Gail Carriger
Series: Finishing School #1
Rating: 3.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

Ahh, steampunk.  It has been a while.  And I have missed you so.  So glad we could embark on another journey together.  And a fun one at that.  While I don't quite think E&E is the steampunk version of Harry Potter, it is definitely fun.  There's a bit of sass, and Sophronia isn't near as polished as most of the legacy members of her "finishing school".

This book might suffer from a few too many elements.  Not only do we have steampunk and teenage assassins in training, but we have betrayal and - as if those three aren't enough - we have werewolves and vampires to boot!  I could have lived with the paranormal/supernatural creatures.  I think the vampires and werewolves took my interest down a little.  But it's still a fun read.

We have air pilots!  Sophronia gets attacked while traveling and has to fend off air pirates.  How cool is that?  And her whole school in on a moving/floating/flying contraption.  Sophronia is a likable enough character, although I hope we dive more into her story as the series progresses.  I read this novel while multitasking a bit, so the plot didn't quite grip me, but that might have been of my own doing.  Still, it sets up a good premise, and it really makes me want to read Carriger's adult series set in the same world.  But first, I've got the rest of this series out from the library to power through.

No comments:

Post a Comment