10 February 2016

Someday, Someday, Maybe

Author: Lauren Graham
Rating: 3 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

I will start by saying if I had read the actual book instead of listening to the audiobook, I probably wouldn’t have finished it.  For one, while it is a general fiction, there is still a dose of romance in it (and a love triangle at that).  Secondly, it revolves around the world of trying to be an actress, which is also something that is not a particular interest to me.

Still, I’m currently rewatching Gilmore Girls and I’m working on the last two seasons of Parenthood, so Lauren Graham has been on my mind recently.  When I found out she’d written a book and that she reads it for the audiobook, I decided to give it a go from my local library.

Lauren Graham reading the novel is the primary reason I stayed vested in it. She has such a unique voice, and it almost felt like Lorelai Gilmore reading to me for a month of commuting.  On point to the actual story, it’s okay.  And really, just okay.  Nothing particularly stands out.  Franny is likable enough, but she isn’t a gripping character, so to say.  Without an extensive amount of humor, this novel seems to just float along in a realistic fiction realm.

While I can relate to some of the choices Franny makes, and some of the situations she finds herself in, again the plot itself isn’t wholly original and spins an ordinary tale in the world of entertainment.  The romance is also a little cliché, as Franny and Dan concede at one point in the novel when Franny goes to see a movie and complains that the love triangle isn’t realistic at all, and Dan points out that it seems the same as the situation she is currently in.  I have to laugh aloud at that point, since it makes the point for me that, when you get down to it, this novel isn’t wholly original, love triangle included.

If anything, I would suggest the audiobook for your mindless daily commute.  But I wouldn’t bother with picking up this novel to read.  Now give us the last four episode/movies of Gilmore Girls please =)

No comments:

Post a Comment