09 February 2016

Heir of Fire

Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: Throne of Glass #3
Rating: 2.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

I keep thinking I'm going to pick up the next novel in this series and be blown completely away, but it just hasn't happened yet.  Heir of Fire suffers from the same follies as its predecessor.

For one, Heir of Fire feels farrrrr too long.  It almost became a chore trying to get through the entirety of the novel.  Though the plot surrounding Celaena finally picks up in the last quarter of the novel, the rest of the novel seems to flounder at a slow pace.

The addition of new characters doesn't help my interest either.  The story arcs split and multiple, and for some of the characters I'm still not entirely sure what their importance to the story really is (AKA the Thirteen with the dragon type things that are having the competition throughout the novel).  And for the characters we already know from the previous two novels, I'm still not really vested in them either.  Dorian and Chaol stall out in their story arcs, and Celaena's new friend in Rowan doesn't really seem to mesh either.  A lot of the points feel forced, and yet there are a few parts in the novel that actually grabbed my attention and were a bit exciting.  Others I seem to have glossed over and am not sure how they fit into the story.

I don't know if I'm just missing a key or what, but I still can't really get into this series, no matter how hard I try.  I'll give the series one more shot with the next novel since I'm already on the waiting list at the library, but at this point I'm not that optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment