31 January 2016

The Siren

Author: Kiera Cass
Rating: 2.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

I probably should have shied away from this one from the start given the fact that 1) The Selection is definitely a guilty pleasure of a read and I'm still not sure why I like it as much as I do and 2) it's pretty much a straight up romance novel.

Kahlen was saved from drowning with her parents as a teenager, but it came at a price.  A very high price.  In exchange for her life, Kahlen must serve the Ocean for one hundred years as a siren before she is left to live out the rest of her days as a human do.

Kahlen makes it eighty years with relative ease, but then she meets Akinli and it is pretty much love at first sight (which is rather irksome since they have, like, no chemistry what-so-ever).  But still, these are mermaids people!  And I love mermaid young adult novels, even if I haven't found a good one yet (anyone with a rec, please, please, pleaseeee send my way).

The Siren is not badly written, but is not that engaging either, due to the lack of chemistry between the characters whose romance is a hefty portion of the plot.  The plot is interesting enough, and certainly better than Hocking's mermaid/siren series (I'm still kind of mad about that one), but still not exactly my cup of tea.  With the lack of chemistry and the lack of connection I feel with any of the character, I need the ending to really pull through.  And the ending, unfortunately, isn't entirely satisfying either.  Not a bad read, but I would have a laundry list of ones I would rather read (it does help, however, that this is a standalone and not a drawn out trilogy).

No comments:

Post a Comment