13 January 2016

Broken Crowns

Author: Lauren DeStefano
Series: The Internment Chronicles #3
Rating: 3.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

I received an advanced reading copy of this novel from the publisher for an honest review.

While Burning Kingdoms taught me that DeStefano still hasn't mastered the art of developing a full fledged series with a plot that will keep my interest for the entirety of the span, at least Broken Crowns is refreshingly better than its immediate predecessor.  Where Burning Kingdoms navigated way out into left field by adding a bunch of new characters, introducing even more fantastical elements that made the story less and less realistic, and took away what made Perfect Ruin so unique - the setting of Internment - Broken Crowns set out on a massive course correction.

Broken Crowns circles back to the roots of the story, and we see a shift in Morgan that actually seems like character development.  No longer is she the girl ready to jump off the edge.  No longer does she dream of finding out what lies beneath.  Instead, we have a classic example of the reality behind "the grass is always greener on the other side" as Morgan realizes that life on the ground is not much better than life in the sky, even if its reaches are much broader.  And the love triangle in this novel is blissfully just a footnote to the conclusion instead of a repeated, overdone subplot.

If you can get over the fact that there is a magical city suspended in the sky - apparently held in place by wind... yeah, I know - then the plot of this novel is much more realistic than the last.  And if I recall correctly, Morgan's character, as well as Pen's, grows on me considerably more than the damage done by the last novel.  Even the princess grows on me some, though at times she is just as short sighted and insufferable as ever.  While I still don't feel very connected to these characters, I at least appreciate them more this time around.  And DeStefano's writing towards the end of the novel and the conclusion are definitely elegant and prove DeStefano has talent, if only she could weave a decent plot for an entire series together.  I have hopes for her next one!

The Internment Chronicles is not a series I will add to my personal library, but it does add a touch of uniqueness to an oftentimes stale young adult pool of plots.  Though the middle installment in the series left me wanting more, Broken Crowns feels truer to the beginnings of the series, and finishing the series certainly doesn't feel like time wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment