10 November 2015

The Rose Society

Author: Marie Lu
Series: The Young Elites #2
Rating: 2 / 5 stars
Verdict: Bury

It's been a year to the day since I finished reading Young Elites (woah!  I swear I didn't even plan that) and even though I've reread my review and read the entire Rose Society novel, I didn't don't remember much about Young Elites.  I kept waiting for something in this novel to trigger some form of recollection, but I've come up with bupkis.  That's the first sign that I probably wasn't going to enjoy this one, since I couldn't even remember the characters or the plot of the series at all.

Unfortunately, it did not get much better from there.  Adelina is not what you would call a likable main character, but I also find it kind of funny that in the acknowledgements Lu says this is the darkest book she's ever really.  I just thought, 'Really?  I've written poetry darker than this.  In, like, high school.'  Now don't get me wrong, Adelina is definitely a messed up chick.  But Rose Society suffers from the same thing I noted in my review of Young Elites: "a lot of the action left more suspense to be desired".  This novel seems to limp by on the characters in lieu of a suspenseful plot, but when the characters aren't that great to begin with, you are left with a novel that just feels flat, and is a bit of a chore to get through.

People who enjoy love triangles will likely swoon over this novel (as I saw in a buddy read discussion), but it does absolutely nothing to me.  I think I'm going to shelf this series, which is a shame because I definitely liked the Legends series better.  There just isn't enough development of this world or the characters that I like.

Oh, and PS: I really don't like the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment