11 November 2015

Ice Like Fire

Author: Sara Raasch
Series: Snow Like Ashes #2
Rating: 2 / 5 stars
Verdict: Bury

This book is... kinda boring.  Perhaps I hyped myself up too much after Snow Like Ashes, because it was a fresh world and story in a stifled YA genre.  But unlike Snow Like Ashes, Ice Like Fire is a chore to get through.

Meira loses some respect from me in this second installment in the series.  She spends almost the entirety of the novel debating what a warrior would do and what a queen would do and wondering if she could perhaps be a warrior queen.  And she second guesses pretty much every decision she makes, which doesn't give you much faith in her power as a ruler.  She even goes as far to admit that she's selfish - that she wants to do the right thing for Winter and her people, but that she also can't help but want to do the right thing for herself too.  Which I understand, I truly do.  But my Gods, her inner dialogue is a struggle to stomach at junctures in this tale.

Then we get to the plot itself.  Meira treks off around the world, visiting the other kingdoms under the guise of wanting to sign a peace treaty to form an alliance between all the kingdom, as Theron wants to do.  She does not, however, tell Theron that her motives for the trip are very different, which also leads to a lot of inner dialogue that I could have lived without (and don't even get me started on the disaster that is a love triangle in this book).

I feel like this story is simply a bridge between Snow Like Ashes and the next novel in the series, and wish Raasch would have taken a different approach.  Though we are introduced to a slew of new characters, the only one that leaves an impression is the princess of Summer, and she is vastly under utilized.  The plot trudges along as they go from kingdom to kingdom in search of the keys of the Order (still not sure I remember that whole deal from the first novel) and try to get the peace treaty signed, and my interest simply got lost in the journey and Meira's inner monologues.

I'll probably give this series one more try, but I can honestly say I am disappointed in the turn we took with Ice Like Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment