29 October 2015

Virals

Author: Kathy Reichs
Series: Virals #1
Rating: 1.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Bury

I’ve bought a lot of the Bones books when my local used bookstore went out of business, but I haven’t read any of them yet.  I kind of wish I had started with her adult series instead of her first foray into young adult, because the transition did not go well for her I’m afraid.  The characters are one dimensional and cliche, and it feels a lot more like a middle grade writing quality than young adult.  The narrative from Tory’s point of view and the dialogue between the teenagers is so terrible it is laughable.  It goes from being so dumbed down to these fourteen year olds spewing out knowledge even I don’t know in my middle twenties.  It is definitely not knowledge teenagers sit around book learning.

If it was just Reichs’s portrayal of young adults, I could probably have been okay with it.  But the plot is also so absurd that it is really hard to find a redeemable quality of this week.  For a small portion near the end, the plot actually gets a bit suspenseful and isn’t such a chore to work through.  But then the resolution of the plot is so far fetched that in the end I just felt I’d wasted all the time I forced myself to keep trucking through it.

I bought a copy of Code from the bargain bin at BAM so I will probably give this series one more shot.  Hopefully she learned from her mistakes as she got her feet wet in this one and made the next one better (fingers crossed).

No comments:

Post a Comment