21 October 2015

Spinning Starlight

Author: R.C. Lewis
Rating: 2.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

I received a free copy of this novel from the publisher for an honest review.

Liddi Jantzen has been in the spotlight her entire life as the only daughter of a technological super company.  The fact that she has eight brothers, many older than her, did not stop her parents from giving her controlling interest in the family business upon their passing, even though Liddi has yet to show the promise her brothers have already expressed for years.  Liddi is still trying to make her breakout move to prove herself worthy when all eight of her brothers disappear without a trace, just as people try to attack Liddi on the family property.

Though she knows she has yet to live up to expectations in the public eye, Liddi cares nothing up the upcoming tech expo when she gets word of the disappearance of her brothers, and she is thrown into a world of intergalactic travel that, quite frankly, I still don't know if I conceptualize.  Liddi's ventures into the unknown area of their inhabited worlds is where this novel and I start to part ways as it become more than a bit hard to follow in places.  Truthfully, I got a little lost in all of the Khua business and still don't understand it.  I don't know if it just wasn't explained well enough or if it just went over my head, but that whole concept is kind of lost on me which makes it difficult to really invest in the story.  I don't care much for the "alien" romance either or understand why Lewis even feels it is needed for the plot.  There is so much material for the story just in the relationships between Liddi and her brothers that I thought the romance was just a needless interference.  And relationships between different species/with aliens just tend to creep me out a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment