18 August 2015

The Wicked Will Rise

Author: Danielle Paige
Series: Dorothy Must Die #2
Rating: 1.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Bury

Given that I was not the biggest fan of Dorothy Must Die, I'm not exactly sure why I thought continuing this series would be a good idea.  But alas, it appears I am a gluten for punishment.

The plot of this book seems like it should Godsmack you with awesomeness, and yet I could barely get through it.  While the main character isn't annoying, per se, she certainly isn't captivating either.  I struggled with her in the initial novel of the series, and it does not get better the second time around.  In fact, she isn't much of anything, characteristic wise.  There is the balance between good and evil that she's struggling with, true, and the point that perhaps it isn't such a black and white line, but it's handled so poorly that it still feels like Amy has no character development at all.

All the characters in fact fall flat, as does the plot.  This story of skipping around Oz, trying to dislocate special bodyparts from twisted beloved characters and trying to get flying monkeys and crazy characters alike to join in the plot to overthrow Dorothy the Devil would seem to have enough twists and turns to keep readers interested.  Instead, it feels like mandatory reading for English class, and the writing is so boring that even the scenes that seem like they should be fascinating are either annoying or just boring. , It certainly has enough plot twists that it ought to be engaging and yet it isn't.  Thus I can safely say I won't be able to stomach another novel in this series (especially with the ending, which was a very strange twist that doesn't seem to make much sense and only further just seems to drag the plot out more).  I haven't given up on Paige but this series, Dorothy Must Die, is officially dead to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment