01 August 2015

The Stars Never Rise

Author: Rachel Vincent
Series: The Stars Never Rise #1
Rating: 3.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

Immortal souls.  Demonic possession.  And a love interest that is definitely one for the books.  I had no idea what to expect going into The Stars Never Rise (and now after, don't really see how the name really fits).  And the world is a bit difficult to grasp at first, but - and I can't exactly explain why - I couldn't put this books down.

If you get over the fact that Nina basically falls in love in about five minutes flat, she's actually not that bad of a heroine.  With a mother with a pill problem, it falls on her shoulders to take care of her younger sister in this odd, post apocalyptic world where humans are just limping on as a species and always afraid of demonic possession.  And Nina is willing to do whatever it takes to provide for her sister, so that they can soldier on until they can get out from under the thumb of their burdensome deadbeat of a mother (and Mellie definitely does not make it easy).

A bit predictable at times (I knew what was going to happen with Millie towards the beginning, and as soon as Nina meets her love interest, I knew that would be that), but I can honestly say I didn't see the plot playing out the way it does.  It's an interesting tale, certainly different than anything else I've read this year.  Though certainly not my favorite series by any standards, I'll be picking up the next novel in this series to see where Vincent takes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment