07 August 2015

The Last Ever After

Author: Soman Chainani
Series: The School for Good and Evil #3
Rating: 2.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Bury

I really wanted to like this series.  After all, it's a twist on classic fairy tales and tries to redefine what it means to be a hero.  It's a classic recipe for success.  And yet, I just never got fully invested in the series.  It's not that Chainani is a bad writer.  He's not.  But the entire series feels so repetitive, as if he needed to flush the series out but didn't know how, so he kept using the same elements and themes over and over.  The Last Ever After, for example.  I got over 400 pages in (yes, this book clocks in at a staggering 650 pages, making it almost impossible to finish unless you have a strong will power) and realized the plot was basically at the exact same stage as the beginning of the novel.  There was no need for the book to be so long and tedious.

And sure, I understand the duality between Sophie and Agatha, the difference between good and evil, and how it isn't a black and white separation that's easy to state.  But it's so needlessly overdone, rehashing the same themes time and time again throughout the trilogy.  So while I liked the message and the moral at the end of the series, I hardly think it's worth the long road to get there.

I tried to like The Last Ever After and the entire School for Good and Evil series, I really did.  I refused to give up on this book, even when my hubby could see how frustrated I got and told me to just stop reading it.  And this book does have some quirky and charming, even giggle aloud funny moments.  But in the end, I'm kind of just thankful to finally be done with Agatha, Sophie, and Tedros and their annoying little love triangle.

No comments:

Post a Comment