09 August 2015

God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales

Author: Penn Jillette
Rating: 1 / 5 stars
Verdict: Bury

Should I have tried this book?  God, No!

But I love Penn & Teller's magic show.  On our trip to Las Vegas this year for Valentine's Day, we had to hit up the Rio to experience it.  Even though they come right out and tell you that there is nothing magical about it, it's still an amazing experience, especially since I couldn't figure out how they did any of it.

I am not so much a fan of their BS! show.  My gripe with the show is the same issue I have with this book: the excessive expletives.  It's also Penn's voice, which is grating and rather smug and hard to listen to over any expanse of time.  Still, my hubby got this audiobook for our recent roadtrip so I thought I would give it a try with him.  I ended up having to put on headphones and listen to music to drown it out so I wouldn't claw my ears out.  It isn't just the cussing and Penn's voice.  As a well known "activist" for atheism, I thought I might learn some interesting insights from him on the topic.  Instead, I found myself hearing about his trips to strip clubs and his party with naked Elvis, in which everyone ended up naked in the pool together singing "kumbaya".  This book is less about the topic of religion and more about Penn's crazy personal stories, which just slightly relate to the topic of religion (if they do at all).  While he is an interesting character to be sure with some pretty crazy stories, this was just not my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment