26 July 2015

Until the Beginning

Author: Amy Plum
Series: After the End #2
Rating: 2.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Bury

Okay... I've got a raven.  And-oh, right, I almost forgot-I'm magic.  Not that I know what I can do with that besides figure out how a certain girl is feeling...

My feelings on After the End were mixed, so I wasn't sure about Until the Beginning.  I requested from the library anyway, and after it sat on my bookshelf for about three months, I'm finally making myself read it since it's due back by the end of the week.

Unfortunately, the uniqueness of the genre for After the End has pretty much worn off by now.  Instead, we find Miles sucked into the same paranormal magical life Juneau has lived her entire life with her tribe, and I have to admit, it is not my favorite plot in the world.

For one, half of the chapters are written from Miles's point of view.  And Miles's inner dialogue can be rather ridiculous, like the quote above, which pretty much sums up this novel for me.  For another, the main characters are kind of supporting characters in the plot that Plum is trying to sell.  Yes, there is that thing about Juneau that makes her special for the thing that makes them basically immortal, and thus she is being sought after by the mean, older men wanting to bankroll off the formula.  But really, this story ought to be more about them, and the members of her tribe that sold them out to the evil corporate schemers, and less about Juneau and Miles, who really want to just fall off the map and live happily ever after together as their immortal selves.

The series does not have a realistic plot I can really invest into, especially when human immortality coming into the picture (because, you know, science shows that blood cells and tissue and whatnot are going to keep dying as your body gets used, and there is a limit to the number of times these things can replicate).  There also isn't much action/adventure to carry the story either, except a little at the end.  Mostly, Until the Beginning consists of just Juneau lugging a dead Miles around the country, wondering if he's ever going to wake up again or not.  Just not my cup of tea, as it seems too heavily focused on the romance in this story without much to keep me invested.

No comments:

Post a Comment