23 July 2015

Silver in the Blood

Author: Jessica Day George
Series: Silver in the Blood #1
Rating: 2.5 / 5 stars
Verdict:  Bury

My introduction to  George's writing came with Tuesday's in the Castle, which is a MG leveled fantasy novel that was original, quirky, and charming.  So when I saw that she had a new YA novel coming out for a new series, I had to snag it.

Unfortunately, it seems like I prefer George's MG styled literature to her YA.  I think part of the issue I have is that Jessica Day George takes this plot perfect for the YA genre, but dumbs it down unintentionally to a MG level.  The characters feel juvenile for their age, and I don't ever feel like either of the main characters is truly developed as a character worth investing empathy towards.  Indeed, none of the characters are.

That's not to say that there's anything wrong with George's writing in this novel, but only to suggest there is nothing great about it either.  I think casual readers just look for an interesting, rather unique tale with enjoy this story.  More avid readers, however, will realize the overall lack of quality in the characters and the story for this genre.  And while it is definitely a different twist on paranormal YA fiction, it wasn't a storyline that grabbed me and sucked me in either.  In fact, I found the first half more intriguing than the second.  The trailing half of the novel gets bogged down in a lot of the characters, and the premise behind the Claw, the Wing, and the Claw, while original, it far from the best paranormal YA I've read.  This novel gets some props for the setting, as I love historical fiction.  I just don't feel like George takes advantage of the setting or the time period either.  It's set in the same era as Dracula in Romania, which sounds like it would be fascinating.  But the plot is too bogged down in family secrets and budding relationship drama for Dacia and Lou to really take advantage of the world George selected for the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment