05 June 2015

Stitching Snow

Author: R.C. Lewis
Rating: 3 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

This novel had all the elements to be a slam dunk, instant classic in my library.  It is a fractured fairy tale based on Snow White and it occurs in space with interstellar travel between planets.  And to top it all off, it even has a dystopian theme lurking in the sublevels of the plot.  Everything about this book made me want to rip the cover off to read it faster.

And it is true that I enjoyed Lewis' creativity and how she weaved elements from the original tale into this new one of her own.  You have the dead mother and the evil stepmother who is trying to kill our sweet and innocent Snow.  You have the dashing prince, and even the robot dwarfs.  But then you also have this highly technological advanced galaxy with a multi-planetary species, and a rift between the different groups of the species.  Unfortunately, the further I read into Stitching Snow, the less it seemed to sparkle and impress.  Yes, it is highly originally.  I will certainly give her that.  And it did feel as if it had enough action/suspense to the plot.  But it could have used more detail for such an unique solar system.  At times, the characters felt a little flat as well.

I leave myself partly to blame.  After all, I came into the reading with such high expectations and excitement that I don't think there was any way she could have lived up for what I was hoping for this novel to be.  It's not a novel I'll likely read again, but it is definitely worth a read once through if you are a fan of fractured fairy tales and space opera novels, as it does a decent job weaving them together in a classic YA way.

No comments:

Post a Comment