24 June 2015

Omega City

Series: Omega City #1
Author: Diana Peterfreund
Rating: 4 / 5 stars
Verdict: Buy

I would have LOVED this book as a kid.  Conspiracy theories?  The Man out to get you, to discredit your well researched novel, to turn all your sources against you?  And then an underground city built by a "mad scientist" who wanted to protect the world from inevitable destruction?  Are you kidding me?  This is what I used to fantasize about as a kid when I hid in the back corner of my closet and pretended I could take a hidden elevator from there down into an underground world.

Some of it comes off a little cheesy or cliche to me, but then again the novel is written for middle grade kids, not people now pushing closer to 30 than 20 such as myself.  You do have to suspend your disbelief that a rag tag group of youngsters such as this could get into so much trouble and so many life threatening situations, but if you can get past that, this novel is a fun ride from the beginning to the last page.  And with the way she leaves it open ended, I'm sure there will be another that is just as much fun and just as exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment