29 May 2015

The Isle of the Lost

Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Series: The Descendants #1
Rating: 3.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

As you may know by now, I am a sucker for a fractured fairy tale novel.  And while I haven't been all that impressed with de la Cruz's novels in the past, I have to admit that The Isle of the Lost isn't half bad.  It follows the children of some of the class villains in childhood fairy tales, thanks to its Disney backing.  In this novel, all the villains have been rounded up and put on an island that disallows magic, thanks to King Beast.  I have to admit, though, of all the heroes from the "Disney" fairy tales, I would think that Beast would be the last one to condemn all the villains.  After all, isn't the entire premise of Beauty and the Beast about redemption, and how things aren't always what they seem?  As a character who starts out a villain himself, you would think he of all villains would be the most reluctant to cast them all away without a second chance at redemption.  But perhaps I am getting too deep into what is, after all, a MG/YA novel.

Redemption does, however, play a rather major role in this novel.  Though they are children of well known villains, not all of them want to follow the ways of their misguided parents.  This novel is there story, and it's interesting enough to hold my attention the entire read through.  While there is nothing special about the story, I can definitely see have obsessive Disney fans will gobble it up with a spoon and demand more.  And, apparently, it is going to be a television show on the Disney Channel as well (which leads me to believe that perhaps the novel is just a marketing ploy in the larger scheme of things).  But regardless, it is a fun read for a lazy weekend, which enough throw back mentions of the classic fairy tale characters to make you reminiscence on your childhood if you, like myself, grew up with the characters and the fairy tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment