05 May 2015

The Girl at Midnight

Author: Melissa Grey
Series: The Girl at Midnight #1
Rating: 3 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

The Girl at Midnight follows a rather cliche outline for a YA fantasy novel, including all the normal aspects you would expect to find (yes, even the love triangle). It feels a lot like a Cassandra Clare novel, even to the point of the dumbed down prose that feels like it goes too far at certain parts, making the dialogue or sentences almost eye roll worthy.

It's even hard to get into in the beginning, as it is a vastly unique and new world, and it feels as if we are thrown right into the middle of it without warning or much background. But the characters, the plot behind the war, and the world itself slowly combine to create a rather intriguing tale, even if the story still leaves a lot to be desired. It's not a series I will likely add to my private library, but it's interesting enough to hold my attention.

I do wish our main character, Echo, would be more engaging. While she isn't a damsel in distress type of main character, she's still rather one dimensional and hard to relate to.  And while there are a few twists and turns to the story to keep the readers guessing, the "twist" at the ending I could see coming for the majority of the story.

Even with all its flaws, it's a good book to read while you're waiting for your next must read new release of the year.  I'll likely pick up the next book in the series as well, but I do hope that Grey will find a way to add some more back story to the tale.  This first installment is really missing that, which is why I felt so at a loss at the beginning, and while I think it was difficult for me to get sucked into the story at the beginning.


No comments:

Post a Comment