16 May 2015

A Court of Thorns and Roses

Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #1
Rating: 2.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Bury

This is one of those awkward novels that appears to be a romantic tale between a human and a centuries old mythical/fae creature.  I'm not the biggest fan of romance stories to start, but romance between two "people" that shouldn't even be able to breed?  That brings the ick factor into the story for me.
I realize that A Court of Thorns and Roses is supposed to be a Beauty and a Beast styled fae tale, but Feyre hardly seems like Beauty, and Tamlin is far more amicable than the Beast.  In fact, their is only one, or perhaps two (at most), scene where Tamlin even acts beastly at all.  In addition, I never really liked Beauty and the Beast because of the love story.  I liked it because of the talking and singing household appliances and place settings.
My fundamental issue with this novel is that the plot revolves completely around the romance instead of the romance between the character revolving around the plot.  Since I never felt engaged with the characters or their romance, the plot felt thin and dis-interesting.  It is just interesting enough that I read to the end of the novel, but there were definitely sections that I wanted to skim read through.  And even though this novel is most certainly the first in a new series, it's not exactly a series I am interested in continuing.
If Feyre wasn't so invested into Tamlin, then I might have actually liked her character.  The way she's introduced, she definitely has potential to be a strong, independent lead character.  After all, she is out hunting in the woods they are warned not to venture into, and she is providing for her family that seems so ungrateful.  I actually thought Maas overdid the characteristics of the sisters and her father, as they were so ungrateful and self centered that they almost felt unreal.  But Feyre's fierce instincts for survival and protection of her family only last until Tamlin shows up.  And though he drags her from her home, she almost immediately falls for him.  Then all her likable characteristics fall to the back burner as the romance takes center stage.  And since Maas spends so much time trying to force the romance, she never takes the time to develop the characters.
I still have high hopes for her other series, but this one flopped for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment