02 April 2015

Rebel Heart

Author: Moira Young
Series: Dust Lands #2
Rating: 3.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

I want to like this book more.  I really, really do.  Blood Red Road is in my top five novels read this year, easily.  And I had such high hopes for this novel.  But I finish now, and I'm disappointed.  I'll admit it.  I want to know what the heck happened to Saba.  She was so strong, so fiercely independent in the first novel.  And now?  All she can think about is Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack.

If that had been it, I probably would have been able to stomach it.  But then we have to thrown in love triangles as well.  That just took the cake for me.  From the prose style, I can tell I'm still reading the same series, but it sure doesn't feel like it.  While I still wanted to get through the novel, this installment certainly isn't a page turner like its predecessor.  In fact, it feels like very little happened in this novel.  And what little does happen makes me angry, because it seems so avoidable, as some of the characters even point out during the story.  The characters' selfishness causes needless issues that never need to rise, but do.

I don't suddenly hate this series now.  Not by far.  I just feel like Young took a step back, and fell into the classic sophomore slump.  With where the first novel left off, there was some potential, though it would have been hard pressed to be as action packed as the first novel.  But this novel feels mostly like characters just walking around all over the country for the most part, falling in and out of love.  And considering the situation with the Tonton and the state of civilization, I thought there was a lot more possibility.  But I'll hold out hope for the series until I finish the last novel.  Hopefully it will not disappoint as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment