23 March 2015

The Lost Colony

Author: Eoin Colfer
Series: Artemis Fowl #5
Rating: 3 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

I got 87% of the way through this novel before I realize that I have read this book before, and just completely forgot.  I know I haven't read the remaining books in the series, and as I started reading this one I figured The Opal Deception was where I left off as a young teenager.  But alas, I was mistaken.  And that let's you know kind of where this novel falls into place among the other Artemis Fowl books in the series.

I think it's just too... different.  We've spent so much time getting to know Artemis and Butler and Holly and Mulch and Foaly, and now we have all these other characters coming into play as well that take up a lot of the face time in the story.  And while it's kind of interesting to find a twelve-year-old female version of Artemis, she is definitely not one of my favorite characters.  It could come down to the Skylar Complex, where I dislike her simply because she's pitted against our sometimes hero, sometimes villain, usually somewhere in between main character Artemis.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but her character just left a sour taste in my mouth.

And then the demons.  Colfer has spent so much time developing this amazing fairy world that Artemis spent so much time trying to exploit, and now instead of working in that realm, we are looking at a lost demon colony separate in a different space-time continuum that is starting to crumble?  Well, we all know how I feel about time travel.  And even if I can let it go for the sake of the reading level, the entire plot of this novel surrounding the demons just didn't seem up to the usual Colfer standard.  Sure, there is the same classic style, full of wit and magic and world domination plotting (sort of).  Couple that with the fact that the new characters introduced just aren't as lovable and unique as the ones we've grown to love, and this installment just missed its mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment