14 March 2015

The DUFF

Author: Kody Keplinger
Rating: 3 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

I received a galley copy of this novel from the publisher for an honest review.  I requested a copy because I recently saw the trailer for the movie, and thought it actually looked pretty good (because, um, hello, Mae Whitman.  Plus, Robbie Amell may not be the best actor, and he's way too old to play a high schooler, but dang he's good to look at).  So, of course, I had to read the novel first.

The novel is nothing like the trailer for the movie adaptation, and I have to admit, I liked the trailer more.  Don't get me wrong, you can tell from the trailer that you aren't going to take anything serious away from the movie, but the trailer looked funny at least.  To be fair, I did like B at the beginning of the novel.  She's snarky and sarcastic, and her tone added humor at the beginning of the novel.  But the further I read into the novel, the more annoying she became.  Especially when she started being such a witch to her friends, and her life began to revolve around the relationship she had with a guy she felt was constantly putting her down.  I might be a fit of a feminist, but who let's themselves fall into a relationship like that?  Who wants a relationship with a guy that is constantly calling you the DUFF, and asking if you'll try to set him up with your hotter friends?  I thought perhaps that she deserved someone better, but then I realized she actually liked it.  She gets a chance at something better, and she decides it isn't for her.

Um.  Okay.  I guess some girls like that.  And I realize this novel has a fairy tale ending, where perhaps the bad boy can change his stripes, if only he meets the girl that he's willing to change for.  But that certainly doesn't happen in real life often, and when it does, I wouldn't want to be the girl the bad boy tries to change for.  I could definitely tell this novel was written by a girl.  Still, if you can get past the toned down, YA version of 50 Shades of Grey, the story has interesting enough characters, humor, and just barely enough plot to get you through it.  But I think B could have done better.  Much, much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment