26 March 2015

Taste of Darkness

Author: Maria V. Snyder
Series: Healer #3
Rating: 2 / 5 stars
Verdict: Bury

My final conclusion from finishing this series is that Maria V. Snyder talents are better off used for young adult fiction that adult fantasy.  One of the things that really irked me through the entirety of this series is the terms and language these adults use.  Words like "Okeydokey" and all the lame ways Snyder uses to get around cussing while still trying to make it obvious what word she wants to use.  This novel is supposed to be adult fiction, and it feels like it's written but a teenagers trying to talk like an adult.  The third novel is the worst of all three when it comes to this, and I could not get over it; it makes it very difficult to take her writing seriously.

Then we get to the plot itself.  This novel is hefty, long, and drawn out.  The plot is slow, and is extremely difficult to keep interest in reading it.  Goodreads deleted my start reading date, so I don't know exactly how long it took me to read this novel, but I know it took forever.  A month, at least.  I liked the first two novels well enough, but the originality wears off with each additional novel, and but the time we get to the third book it feels like we're just being told the same story over and over again.  And then we get to the ending; it is so unsatisfying that it makes it feel like I wasted all my time with the entire trilogy.  And it isn't that the ending is terrible, but after four hundred and fifty pages, it is deflating and feels like just another part of the story, not this epic wrap up to this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment