25 March 2015

Love, Rosie

Author: Cecelia Ahern
Rating: 3.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

I saw the movie a few weeks(ish) ago, and actually liked it well enough to want to read the book as well.  I know, I know.  I'm highly judgmental and love to compare and contrast books versus their movie adaptations.  But I will try to keep that out of my review.  Love, Rosie is witty - sometimes even downright hysterical at times - charming, and also one hundred percent completely depressing if you get right down to the underlying theme of it.  It spans over forty years, and is quite a long book.

I have always had male best friends growing up, from the time I started day care it seems.  Unlike Rosie and Alex, my best friend at seven and I didn't stay in touch when he got transferred to a different school in elementary school (of course, this was the time before e-mail and instant messenger and text messages, etc. etc. etc.).  And when I saw him again in high school and college, we were totally different people.  I had a new best friend then (also a guy; and though we live almost a 100 miles apart now, we still keep in touch like Alex and Rosie, thanks to the wonders in technological advancements since my early days).  But I've never had a "silent" moment with my male best friends (except for now, of course, with my hubby).  But I can see the relationship between Alex and Rosie.  It's a little hard for me to root for them, I have to admit, because their relationship seems to define the stereotype that guys and girls can't simply be friends.  And I think that's a load of crap.

But enough about my personal life.  This book is depressing because Alex and Rosie spend decades as friends, go through a lot of heartache and pain, make some of the worst decisions possible in life, and yet they still can't find the strength to tell each other how they feel?  I mean, come on.  It might be hard, but a friendship that has lasted that long and gone through so many other trials would be able to survive that confession, even if the other didn't feel the same.  It felt a little bit ridiculous to me.  But then again, I've never had that type of unrequited love, so maybe I'm just judging from the outside looking in.  In a way, though, their inability to share anything so personal with the other makes perfect for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment