10 March 2015

Across a Star-Swept Sea

Author: Diana Peterfreund
Series: For Darkness Shows the Stars #2
Rating: 4 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

More of a companion novel that a sequel, Across a Star-Swept Sea does not disappoint for fans of For Darkness Shows the Stars.  While this new story focuses on a new set of star crossed lovers (Persis and Justen), we are still set in the same Reduced plagued world, which allows for feature cross overs with the original cast (which I always love to see in companion novels).

Persis, while bubbly and shallow on the surface, is just as empowering as her predecessor, Elliot.  She is the famed and whispered about Wild Poppy, a spy set out to rescue aristos from the oppression of the war raging on their fellow island.

The characters in Across a Star-Swept Sea are dynamic and engaging, even if Persis can get a little too into her role at times (I can only read so much about style and clothing choices).  Her relationship with Princess Isla is definitely one of the most interesting parts of the novel, as is - of course - her seemingly ever changing relationship with Justen.

While For Darkness Shows the Stars was a little too romantically heavy for my taste, Peterfreund weaves a much more interesting tale of spies and revolution, with the obligatory love story thrown in for good measure here as well.  There are only a few occasions where I thought the focus was too heavily drawn onto the will they/won't they between Persis and Justen.

I will admit, some of the science/medics went over my head.  I am still not entirely sure I know what the difference between the Reduced/the regs/the aristos/etc. is, but I still really enjoyed the novel.  I am hoping Peterfreund is going to continue the series, at least with another companion novel, as while the main plot of this novel is wrapped up, she still leaves a lot to be determined and explored.

No comments:

Post a Comment