28 February 2015

Perfect Ruin

Author: Lauren DeStefano
Series: The Internment Chronicles #1
Rating: 3.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

I was not the biggest fan of the Chemical Garden Trilogy, but I did think that DeStefano showed promise with her writing.  She just didn't have the plot there to really invest me in the series with that series.  Still, she clearly had the talent with her writing style, so I thought I would give her new series a try, especially with the second novel due out soon.

Perfect Ruin is definitely a step above her previous series, though my issue with the Chemical Garden Trilogy is that it got worse and worse which each novel, so I am not completely sold on the series as a whole yet until I get to crack open Burning Kingdoms next month and take it for a spin.  Still, this series shows promise.

It's certainly a unique world.  Internment is a portion of the planet that has somehow broken away and is hovering up in the sky, above the poor souls still stranded on the ground below.  I know, I know.  This premise in general makes absolutely no sense.  How can it stay up there?  How does this odd wall of wind keep people from escaping when they jump?  How did it break away from the ground and float up in the first place?  Try not to think about these issues, or I doubt you will enjoy this novel at all, especially since DeStefano makes no attempt to even touch on the subject.

Still, here is Internment, this small "Utopian" society in the clouds.  It is ruled by a king who enjoys the power he has over his people, and includes people who are not content with living out their highly restricted and controlled lives in the sky.  Morgan is one such girl.  She cannot help but think about what lies on the ground below Internment, and her inquizzical brain is too large for her small bubble of a society she lives in.  Basically, she takes after her brother.  While their characters are not fascinating, I do adore the dynamic between them.  And the characters in this novel, in general, are likable and relatable enough.

Internment's utopian is thrown for a loop with the murder of a young girl.  Suddenly, Internment isn't the safe, mild mannered society it has been for as long as people can remember.  And the mystery of who killed this young girl and why shakes Internment to the core.  Morgan finds herself suddenly caught up in the middle of it, and the path it leads her down is one she never could have expected.

Perfect Ruin is a unique, interesting story, though it isn't as completely gripping and fast paced as I thought it could be.  Based on the ending, I can honestly say I have no idea which direction the next novel will take, which is a little nerve wracking with DeStefano, as I seem to recall a similar notion with the Chemical Garden, and it certainly took a turn for the worse.  But I am willing to put my reservations aside and go into the next installment with an open mind, hoping for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment