03 January 2015

Stung

Author: Bethany Wiggins
Series: Stung #1
Rating: 4 / 5 stars
Verdict: Buy

I will admit, the opening pages of this novel did not sell me.  I love a first person narrative, such as Gone Girl, where you unravel the pieces of the story with the character.  It's the purest form of suspense in writing.  But I wasn't sold on Fiona from the get go, and had to warm up to her as she navigated the terrifying world that Wiggins creates in this dystopian universe.

First of all, let's start with bees.  I know bees are important to the world, but it takes a bit of a stretch to my imagination to believe that the death of bees can cause the full destruction of the world.  In fact, in a similar fashion to The Hunger Games, I had to suspend a good deal of disbelief to really fall into the world that Wiggins creates.  After all, we are talking about cannibalistic beasts that are really just better functioning zombies with motor control.  And we are talking about a civilization that likes to watch this once human beings tear each other apart to the death, in a similar fashion as The Walking Dead and The Hunger Games.

I will admit, the characters in this novel aren't anything special.  Fiona got on my nerves every once in a while, and while I actually seemed to enjoy some of the romance in this story, Wiggins lays it on a bit too thick at points to where I almost want to fake gag.  But this novel is a shift moving roller coaster of a story, with enough twists to keep you fully invested.  I only read one chapter last night, turning instead to Cress as I had just finished Scarlet, but when I picked it up again this morning for spinning time, I couldn't put it down until the end, a good four hours later.  A couple of the parts are a bit cliche, as are some of the characters, but the emotion turmoil between the characters is heart wrenching to the point where I started to tear up at a few points.  And I'm not talking about the relationship between Fiona and Dreyden, but the relationships between them and their family members, especially the relationship between Fiona and her twin brother, Jonah.  Even the relationship between Fiona and Arrin is fascinating.

Sure, the prose is a bit slopping at time, especially in the beginning.  But the story itself helps mask these flaws, and though I can't possibly see how Cured is going to be as action packed and suspenseful as Stung, I'm sure going to read it to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment