16 November 2014

The Goddess Test

Author: Aimee Carter
Series: Goddess Test #1
Rating: 2 / 5 stars
Verdict: Bury

While wait for my ARC copy of Captive to arrive, I decided to give Carter's Goddess Test series a shot.  I went into it realizing it wasn't my favorite genre, as it is pushed as being a romantic story.  But the romance element of the novel wasn't the main reason I couldn't get into this series.

First off, there seems to be very little plot.  When Kate is tagged to take the "tests" to see if she can be the new wife of the Underworld ruler, we don't really know what any of the tests are until the final few pages of the novel.  Even then, Carter admits that the characters didn't even seem to know what all the tests were until they were ready to pass their judgement on her, which seems like a very thrown together story without much of a planned plot.

The character development was also a disaster, as there wasn't really any.  Kate meets Ava when she first arrives in Eden (her mother's childhood home where she wishes to remain until her pending death).  Ava is your stereotypical cheerleader dating a good for nothing jock who can't seem to break the habit of falling for the guys that treat her like trash.  Kate herself isn't even developed as a character either.  All I know about her is that she takes the whole "I am the ruler of the Underworld, come be my wife for six months out of the year" remarkably well, and seems to be far too trusting and naive.  The romantic element comes into play when she meets the strange Henry who can bring people back to life.  As if a switch flips in her head, at one point in the novel Kate just up and decides she has feelings for Henry and wants to make him feel the same for her.

I'm not really sure what Carter's point in writing this story was.  It certainly didn't seem like she put a lot of effort into it, and I certainly didn't put much effort into reading it.  Perhaps the young girls that thrive on the paranormal romance series will find some interest for Carter's series, but for people who enjoy a good novel, I wouldn't suggest it.  I'll stick with her Blackcoat Rebellion series for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment