22 November 2014

The Goddess Inheritance

Author: Aimee Carter
Series: Goddess Test #3
Rating: 2 / 5 stars
Verdict: Bury

'He pulled back enough to look at me, his eyes searching mine.  "You're not the girl I met in Eden.  She didn't break down in tears every time something didn't go her way."

"I'm not-" I started, but then another tear rolled down my face.  "My family's gone.  No one's letting me help, and every time I try, I screw things up even worse."'

This exchange between James and Kate perfectly sums up this series for me.  Yes, Kate is a whiny cry baby.  Yes, every time she tries to do something, she jumps the gun, usually doing something without discussing it with anyone else first, and ends up making things worse than they were before.  And she wonders why everyone just wants her to stay put and shut up.

I tried to give each book of this series an open mind when I started it.  I'm not sure if I succeeded, but all three failed to pull my interest in at all.  Kate is a lackluster narrator and a weak heroine.  She spends the vast majority of her time pinning over Henry throughout all three of the novels.  She is ruled by her heart, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, except she never consults her brain before she acts on matters of her heart.

With each book in the series, Carters tries to develop more of a plot.  And for a while, I was almost interested in The Goddess Inheritance, until Kate's personal issues reared their ugly heads.  The weak dialogue and the underdeveloped characters didn't help the case either.  And the conclusion to the plot?  Are you kidding me?  Carter spent the vast majority of the final two novels in this trilogy building up to this epic war between the Council and Cronus, the vengeful Titan God.  The way Carter chose to tie up this conflict was so deflating I had to laugh.  So much time spent trying to build suspense, and the resolution petered out like a car running out of fuel.

I continue to scratch my head as to way this series has such high reviews on Goodreads.  After all, the high ratings were the reason I picked up this series from Carter since it was totted as a "romantic fable".  It's hardly romantic, except for the spurts of times she finds herself together with Henry and typically manages to make a mess of things.  And even my interest in Greek mythology couldn't shine a little light on this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment