30 November 2014

Ignite

Author: Sara B. Larson
Series: Defy #2
Rating: 3.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

I received an ARC of this novel from the publisher for an honest review.

Once again, the cover sucked me in.  Such a beautiful cover, even more enchanting than the cover to Defy was.  I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to continue this series after I finished Defy, but when I saw the cover to Ignite, I got pulled in once more to the realm of Antion.

Ignite definitely feels like Defy.  It certainly suffers from the same issue of Alex spending far too much of her time worrying about her romantic entanglements (I even highlighted some of my favorite most absurd interactions between Alex and Damian and even Alex and Rylan).  These woeful teenage romance moments wouldn't have been such a big deal, except for the fact that King Damian is far from safe, and they still face enemies from every side it seems.  Alex even admits that she has more important things to focus on, yet her thoughts always seem to circle back to our dashing new king no matter how dire their situation becomes.

I will admit, however, that at least the romantic aspect of the story has a purpose in Ignite that wasn't evident in Defy, even if you have to wait until about halfway through the novel to see why.  But Larson ties in Alex's feelings for Damian into the plot, and it works to support the novel.

While I didn't see a whole lot of character development in this novel, the plot makes up for it.  While it is hardly a mystery, the charming and beautiful Vera is certainly an interesting character to keep your eyes on in this novel as she sends a shock wave through court almost immediately upon her arrival.  And while Alex spends perhaps a little too much time worrying about who sits in the center of Damian's affections, there is still plenty of action and plotting in the story to keep the plot moving.  While she is too focused on her feelings for the men in her life, she is still a pretty empowered gal, which is refreshing for the most part to the genre.

Though it is still not an instant classic of a series in the making, I do believe Larson made progress with the series with this second installment.  I now look forward to the next novel in the series, while before I wasn't sure if I would continue it or not.  After all, I am a sucker for medieval fantasy novels, and Ignite continues to include the elements of magic and swords play to keep me coming back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment