11 July 2014

Arclight

Author: Josin L. McQuein
Series: Arclight #1
Rating: 3.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Buy

If I could say only one thing about Arclight, I would say it is definitely unique.  We are thrust into Marina's world as they go on lockdown from the Fade, hidden in the "security" of the Arclight.  We aren't sure what's so different about Marina at the start, but we definitely know she isn't like everyone else from the way she's treated by the others.  She sticks out like a sore thumb and she knows it.

Turns out, Marina came from the Dark, discovered in the Grey.  She doesn't have memories of who she was or where she came from before that point; all she knows is that she was saved, brought into the Arclight by Tobin's father, which cost him his life.  Needless to say, Tobin and Marina don't really get along.  At first.

As with pretty much every other young adult novel out there, there is that element of young adult romance.  It didn't bug me too much, but it was a little more predominant than I would have liked.  Thankfully, it didn't take away from the plot too much, so it was definitely bearable.

Now onto the plot.  It's hard to describe without spoiling much of the story, but McQuein weaves an interesting tale, and it certainly takes you to places you aren't expecting.  While mostly shallow to keep the young adult age level readers interested, it does bring up some interesting thoughts about what it truly means to be human.  And while it isn't exactly a terrifying book, it has some chilling moments.  The entire opening of the novel is rather suspenseful, even though you don't really know what the heck is going on at first.  The set up of the story in the beginning is masterful, I will give McQuein that for sure.  The pacing of the novel slows down a bit after that, and the story tends to drag in a few places, but overall it is an enticing read.

While it's a little difficult to see how the second novel will be as good as the first, I am certainly willing to give it a try.  I already have Meridian sitting on my bookshelf, and as soon as I get through the pile of books I'm currently reading, it's next on my priority list.

No comments:

Post a Comment