29 June 2014

World After

Author: Susan Ee
Series: Penryn & the End of Days #2
Rating: 1.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Bury

I have to say, I am rather disappointed with myself that I couldn't get through this novel.  I got to page 168 and just couldn't muster the enthusiasm to carry on.  After seeing all the 4 and 5 star reviews on Goodreads, perhaps I am the odd duck out, but I just couldn't do it.  But perhaps it is because I couldn't get through SYLO which I was reading at the same time as World After, and perhaps some of its stink rubbed off on this one through osmosis.  Who knows.

Angelfall didn't blow my mind, but it was a different approach for a young adult novel than was it typical in the state of literature in today's day and age.  Some of its novelty, however, disappeared with World After.  It feels like a lot of the same plot elements of World After (for example. Penryn is worried about her crazy mom again while searching for her younger sister).  She is also still obsessing over the angel Raffe, which is just a little too weird of a romantic angle for me, especially since I am not a big fan of YA romance.

The pacing of World After seemed slow and it doesn't seem like a whole lot of significance has happened from the beginning of the novel to the point where I quit.  And I lost interest rather quickly when I started this novel.  The most interesting part of Angelfall for me was Raffe, and this novel follows mainly Penryn, who really isn't all that significant to me.

Compared to most of the other reviews for this novel however, maybe I should be ignored on this one.  Maybe I will revisit this series again once it is completed to see if I change my mind the second time through when I haven't been reading other bad books simultaneously and when I am not as distracted by life work.  But for now, I think I will part ways with Penryn & gang and continue on with some new series and complete some other ones I am more interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment