30 June 2014

Otherbound

Author: Corinne Duyvis
Rating: 2.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Bury

To sum up my opinion of this novel in one word: "ehhh..."

The premise is definitely unique.  I have read novels about people who can possess other people.  I have read novels where ordinary people get whisked away into a fantasy world.  But I haven't read a novel about a boy in the real world who (uncontrollably) sees through the eyes of a girl who lives in a fantasy world.

I was 50 pages into Otherbound before I even realized why Nolan was even significant to the story, and by then I was already kind of bored with his life as nothing ever happened to him except that he took pills to prevent seizures he didn't even have and he fell down and puked a lot because every time he closed his eyes, he was whisked away into Amara's world.

Now while Amara's world was definitely the more interesting story of the two parallel tales in Otherbound, it got confusing when it kept switching back and forth between her story and Nolan's.  The characters were interesting enough (at least in Amara's world), but the story got lost with the narrative always switching back and forth between Amara and Nolan, and then we would be in one part but paying attention to the other's story (which was denoted by bold font).  Half the time, I wasn't even sure who the heck was in control of whom.

While Amara's story started off interesting enough - she has powers to heal and has to protect the lost princess Cilla - my interest in her story also faded as the novel went on.  I think Duyvis sort of had an idea of what she wanted to do with the plot, but it became entangled as it developed through the novel.  The addition mages and people who lived in one world but could possess others in another realm grew too convoluted to follow, and I am not 100% sure if all of it was even explained (such as how Nolan had this power to possess another, and how he had magic in a non magical world.  Also, the ability to heal still confused me, and Cilla's whole story was still kind of a mystery at the end as well).

I don't know.  My thought is that there are so many novels out there in the young adult genre right now that I would rather read the ones that don't make my head hurt trying to get through them.  Now, don't get me wrong, some authors can pull off the multiple storylines, even when they are overlapping.  But I don't think it was Duyvis's strong point.

No comments:

Post a Comment