31 May 2014

Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Author: John Green & David Levithan
Rating: 3.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

Will Grayson, Will Grayson takes some time to find its legs, but once it finds its groove it is in full sprint mode to the end.  On first glance, I couldn't determine what the plot of Will Grayson, Will Grayson was.  Turns out, I just needed to keep calm and patient and keep reading, as it all came to light later on.  While confusing at first, I must admit it was refreshing for the authors to take the time to develop the characters before diving into the heart of the plot for a change.

While holding no life lessons and leaving no deep, lasting impact, Will Grayson, Will Grayson is still a charming coming of age story about three very different boys and three very different relationships.  While cheesy in some points and perhaps a little too flamboyant in others for my taste, it was cheesy in a good way and even made me laugh in certain parts.  The plot, like many of John Green novels, was a little coincidental for my taste in parts, but you can easily get past the fact and still enjoy the novel.

What I love about Will Grayson, Will Grayson is that there really aren't protagonists pitted against antagonists.  You're pulling for everyone in the story, even with all of their flaws.  My favorite relationship in the novel is between does not use capitalization will grayson and his mother, which is just so touching and heartbreaking in typical John Green fashion.  And Tiny, while more in your face gay than I am used it, is such an interesting character, especially as you get to his play and he is truly allowed to develop his character.

Sure, the songs in the musical are kind of lame and certainly not the masterpiece the characters make them out to be.  And sure, the big surprise at the ending was a little weird and a bit of a let down based on all the anticipation and anxiety going into it, but it was still sweet (although in the real world would likely have lead to a bunch of beatings but bullies later).

Perhaps not a novel I would buy for my collection (at least not in hardback; maybe, just maybe, in paperback), but it is a novel that I will probably read again down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment