01 April 2014

Ruins

Author: Dan Wells
Series: Partials #3
Rating: 4 / 5 stars
Verdict: Buy

The end of an era, or so it seems.  The world Dan Wells introduced in Partials became only more intricate in Fragments, and by the conclusion of Ruins the world was so immensely developed it almost felt convoluted as I sometimes found myself almost lost in the vastness of it.  While Partials followed mainly Kira and Fragments split into two main narrations, Ruins branches off even further in the number of groups we are following, to the point somewhere in the middle where I had a hard time keeping all the different groups and story lines straight.  Don't get me wrong, the world that Wells has created is rich and vast and ever so complex and developed, but it made it rather difficult for me at times - with my tendency to speed read and gloss through certain areas of books - to keep track of everything going on.

Once again, it's hard to hold a candle to the initial volume in the series.  Partials was just so shockingly unique and amazing that Fragments and Ruins stood almost no chance.  And as Kira makes her way back across the country from Colorado to New York, we again see lapses of action in the novel as the characters make the long trek.  I think one of the main points that intrigued me in Partials right from the get go in Partials was the relationship/interactions between Kira and Samm, and Ruins for the majority lacked that as they split apart for their own reasons for Ruins.  And while Kira reunites with another character I enjoyed in both Partials and Fragments, their relationship here also does not feel the same (although it does put into perspective just how much time has lapsed since the beginning of the series, which had escaped me until that point).

Wells still delivers some twists in revelations in Ruins, though they are not nearly as interesting as the ones in the beginning of the series.  And while Ruins is still a solid novel, it did not give me the resolved feeling at the end that the series was truly whole and resolved.  I guess that is true of life itself, but for such a long and in depth trilogy, I thought the ending was perhaps a bit weak.  As I got closer and closer to the end, I began to get worried as I saw the width of the pages increasingly shrinking while no conclusion/resolution was in sight.  The ending appears rather abruptly and just did not seem to hold true to the amazingness that was Partials.

Once I have all three novels in my personal library, I will undoubtedly have to reread the entire series again, taking strides to pay more attention to the smaller details I might have glossed over in readings one and two.  Perhaps this is the type of novel that deserves my undivided attention that I have a hard time giving when I have five other novels I am also currently reading when I manage to find time in between long days of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment