06 March 2014

United We Spy

Author: Ally Carter
Series: Gallagher Girls #6
Rating: 3 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

The thrilling conclusion to the New York Time best-selling series?  I am going to go out on a limb and say that's a stretch.  I wikied the book about halfway through the novel - after casually flicking to the back and reading the acknowledgements and realizing it sounded like the series was finished - and discovered that this story, indeed, is the conclusion to the series.  Thrilling, however, is a bit of a hyperbole.

For a series about teenage spies, it left a lot to be desired in the area of suspense and mystery.  Sure, the writing style Carter implements is fun and breezy, but it takes away from almost all excitement the stories could potentially muster.

Here we have young Cam, finally with a boyfriend while trying to fight off the secret society of the Circle and still trying to find enough time to attend spy school so that she can graduate.  And you know what?  There was hardly any suspense in the novel at all, where the synopsis seems like it should be boiling over with it.  The big climatic finish, which is supposed to be a bit of a shock/surprise, hardly registered a blip on my radar.  And the conclusion didn't leave me feeling satisfied or outraged; I simply breezed through it (much like the narrative) without any kind of reaction at all.

While I read Carter's novels for their rather unique narrative and style, I have to admit that it is perhaps not the most suited style for the genre of books she is writing.  Sure, it can add humor and make for a fun light read, but it takes away almost all of the excitement for a young spy series and even for young criminals in Heist Society.  At least with Heist Society, I feel more connected with the characters.  So while the Gallagher Girl series makes for an okay first read, it isn't a series I'll be adding to my collection or borrowing from the library to read again.  I feel that after six novels, while a lot happened, when you finish it it hardly feels like you've read anything at all.  Much like the narrative, I kind of simply breezed through the series without taking anything away from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment