07 March 2014

Prince Caspian

Author: C.S. Lewis
Series: Chronicles of Narnia #4
Rating: 2.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

Much like the other novels in this series, Prince Caspian has a hard time keeping up with the ages.  While it might have been the prime of children's literature when it was written (back in the day), reading it now - especially as an older "youth" - makes me wonder how this series ever reached classic status in the first place.  As was the case with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, I find myself content with simply watching the movies as opposed to reading the novels.

Indeed, reading this rather short novel still makes me wonder how they seemed to develop a movie that drags on for a significant amount of time.  I will admit, but the last 1/2 to 1/3 of the novel, I begun just skimming over the text while I watched Catching Fire, so I hardly absorbed any of it at all.  Again, like Lion, Witch & Wardrobe, hardly anything actually happens in this novel.  The four siblings find themselves returned to Narnia, much into the future (after they have apparently grown up into adults and ruled for many years and then left and still had time for the kingdom to decay) when Prince Caspian calls upon them with the magic horn.  Then they spend the novel talking to woodland creatures and drawfs (same as Caspian does), making their way across Narnia to find Caspian.

Towards the end, I do believe they find Caspian (again, I will admit I was skim reading by this point) and I believe an epic battle ensues which takes about three pages in the novel and about thirty minutes in the movie.  Blah blah blah blah blah.

I find it hard forcing myself to trudge through this complete series.  At least with Lion, Witch... and Caspian, we have the four kings/queens that I grew up with in the movies, which is about the novels' only redeeming quality.  Add the books to the series that don't even feature this characters (instead just have the talking lion that, let's face it, I couldn't care much less about) and you have a series that I am glad my parents never wasted time reading to me when I was young(er).

No comments:

Post a Comment